Monday 5 March 2012

Korean Dialects

Just like any other language ; Swedish or English the Korea language does of course also have different regional dialects. I witnessed that firsthand when I lived with my onnis a while back, I didn't know it at the time but they apparently spoke some Gyeongsang dialect and when I lived there I carefully tried to memorize a phare here and there. It worked more then fine when I was with my Korean family, but when I was with other native Koreans they either got very surprised or didn't understand what I meant...


  • Standard dialect - here and there
  • Seoul dialect - Seoul, Incheon, Gyeonggi (Kaesong as in North Korea)
  • Py´õngan dialect - Pyongan & Pyongan region ( Chagang as in North Korea)
  • Chungcheon dialect - Daejeon, Chungcheon region
  • Gangwon dialect - Gangwon-do (Kangwon as in North Korea)
  • Gyeongsang dialect - Busan, Daegu, Ulsan and Gyeongsang region 
  • Hamgyõng dialect - Rasõn, Hamgyõng region, (Ryanggang as in North Korea)
  • Hwanghae dialect - (Hwanghae region as in North Korea)
  • Jeju dialect - Jeju Island 
  • Jeolla dialect - Gwangju & Jeolla region

© Taste of Kimchi, Elle

No comments:

Post a Comment